Veteran Support Resources

Thank You For Your Service

America’s war on terrorism continues in such places as Afghanistan, Iraq, and around the globe; leading the charge are the brave men and women of our armed forces.  Osnaburg Township continues its commitment to supporting these current American Military personnel, veterans, and their families.  Today, as in past wars, the American soldier remains our true Vanguard protecting our precious freedoms.  Many township residents have served and bravely fought to maintain these liberties and freedoms throughout Osnaburg Township’s rich history.  Some of those unsung heroes made the ultimate sacrifice; others returned wrecked by the chaos of unspeakable battles to a grateful nation.   To those, we are indebted and grateful.

Our Goal

As in any community or governmental website, the Osnaburg Trustees believe it is their duty and committed responsibility to provide as much information to support our veterans.  Below we have provided a list of community resources to help current military personnel and veterans.  However, if you feel we have been neglected in our listing of any idem service or need additional guidance, please feel free to contact one of our Trustees or the township office for further inquiries and help.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Is crisis intervention counseling for Veterans offered? Yes, there is help.  Veterans, their families, or friends may contact the Confidential Veterans Crisis Line at 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1 or Chat online at or Text to 838255; Veterans, as well as all residents, may contact Stark Co. Crisis Intervention and Recovery Center Crisis Hotline 330-452-6000 or Dial 911 for Emergency Services. Each service is available 24 Hours A Day.

Q: What employment opportunities are available for Veterans? One such program is Troops to Energy, an initiative designed to accelerate the training of Veterans into key energy positions.  Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment assists Veterans with service-related disabilities find and keep suitable jobs within the community. Other resources include the US Department of Labor Veterans Employment &Training Services and Ohio Job & Family Services. Each organization will promote the employment and training of Veterans.  There are many other employment services available in search of Veteran Employment.

Q: Who is eligible to receive veterans’ benefits? To learn if you or a family member is eligible, please click Veterans Benefits for the most current eligibility requirements.

Q: How do I secure a copy of my DD-214 military discharge? First, you may want to check with the Stark Co. Recorders Office to see if the discharge of the Veteran is on file with that office.  If the record is on file, you may obtain a free copy by visiting that office or phoning their office at  (330) 451-7443.  If the Veterans DD-214 is not registered with the Recorders Office, you must contact the National Archives to request it online, by mail, or by fax. If you seek an Emergency copy for medical reasons or funeral death benefits, you must select Emergency Request.  Your local funeral director should be able to help facilitate this request in the event of the Veterans death.

Q: Securing an Ohio Veterans ID Card? Please visit the Stark Co Recorders Office Veterans ID Card program to learn more about the Stark Co Recorders Office Veterans ID Card program.

Q: What burial benefits are Veterans entitled to? The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) furnishes upon request, at no charge to the applicant, A United States flag to drape the casket or accompany the urn of a deceased veteran who served honorably in the U. S. Armed Forces. A Government headstone or marker for the unmarked grave of any deceased eligible veteran in any cemetery worldwide, regardless of their date of death.

Burial benefits may include a gravesite in any of our 135 national cemeteries with available space, opening, the closing of the grave, perpetual care, a Government headstone or marker, a burial flag, and a Presidential Memorial Certificate at no cost to the family. Some Veterans may also be eligible for Burial Allowances. Cremated remains are buried or inurned in national cemeteries in the same manner and with the same honors as casketed remains. Click Veteran Death Benefits addition details. Compensation.

Q: What does the basic Military Funeral Honors ceremony consist of?  It consists of the folding and presenting the United States flag to the Veterans’ families and the playing of Taps. The ceremony is performed by a funeral honors detail consisting of at least two Armed Forces members. The Funeral Honors rendered will be determined by the status of the veteran.  The type of Funeral Honors may be Full Military Honors, 7 Person Detail, or a Standard Honors Team Detail. At least one funeral honors detail will be from the Armed Force in which the deceased veteran served.  Taps may be played by a bugler or, if a bugler is unavailable, using a quality recorded version. Military Funeral Honor Teams may act as Pall Bearers if requested by the veteran/family.

Q: Who is eligible for Military Funeral Honors? 

  • Military members on active duty or in the Selected Reserve.
  • Former military members who served on active duty and departed under conditions other than dishonorable.
  • Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and departed under conditions other than dishonorable.
  • Former military members discharged from the Selected Reserve due to a disability incurred or aggravated in duty.

Q: Who is not eligible for Military Funeral Honors?

  • Any person separated from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions or whose character of service results in a bar to veteran’s benefits.
  • Any person who was ordered to report to an induction station was not inducted into military service.
  • Any person discharged from the Selected Reserve before completing one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service for reasons other than a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.
  • Any person convicted of a Federal or State capital crime sentenced to death or life imprisonment.

Q: Is the spouse of a  Veteran eligible to be buried in a National Cemetery such as the Ohio Western Reserve National Cemetery? Burial benefits available for spouses and dependents buried in a national cemetery include burial with the Veteran, perpetual care, and the spouse or dependents’ name and date of birth and death inscribed on the Veteran’s headstone, at no cost to the family. Eligible spouses and dependents may be buried, even if they predecease the Veteran.

Q: How to secure transportation to  Wade Park VA Hospital or VA regional clinics for veterans? SARTA (Stark Co. Regional Transportation Authority) provides free transportation to Wade Park VA Hospital three times daily, Monday-Friday.  SARTA will also provide Demand Response services to Veterans who have medical appointments at the  Parma VA Clinic or Akron VA Clinic; call (330) 451-7457 ext. 3 to schedule your Demand Response ride. SARTA also offers discount ride fares to Veterans for employment; please apply online at for that service or phone (330) 639-2804

Q: Are there programs to help homeless Veterans? Yes. The VA – Offers Help for Homeless Veterans; contact the  National Hotline 24 Hours A Day  (877) 424-3838. Those eligible to phone are:

  • Veterans who are homeless or at risk of homelessness
  • Family members, friends, and supporters calling on behalf of Veterans
  • VA Medical Centers and other VA facilities and staff
  • Federal, state, and local partners
  • Community agencies and providers who serve Veterans who are homeless

Q: What is the SAM (Serving Area Military) Center? The SAM Center is located at 413 Lincoln Way E. Massillon, Ohio 44646. Phone (330) 956-6162.  The SAM Center was created to enrich and support local Veterans and their families.  The organization operates a free commissary of non-perishable food items,  hygiene items, and household needs.  It provides a military families support group that meets on the third Tuesday each month at 6:30 PM. at the SAM Center.  The organization offers an array of information to Veterans and their families—topics such as dealing with PTSD, understanding VA benefits, and utilization of community resources. The SAM Center also has food drives for both Thanksgiving & Christmas Holidays and creates Lodging Kits to help homeless Veterans. To help or volunteer, contact the SAM Center today.

Q: Are Veterans eligible for Financial Coaching?  Yes,  OhioMeansJobs offers such a program for Veterans and Survivors in Stark Co. contact:

  • Lori Mann, Financial Coach
    822 30th. St. NW, Canton, Ohio 44709
    Phone: (330) 491-2640

Q: How would a Veteran participate in the Veterans History Project at the US Library of Congress? It’s simple to request a Field Kit by visiting the Veterans History Project,  watching the video, then clicking on How to Participate, or phone (888) 371-5848

Q: How would I contact the local Stark County Veterans Service Commission?  

  • Stark Co. Veterans Service Commission
    2955 Wise Ave NW Canton, Ohio 44708
    Phone: (330) 451-7457
    Office hours are Mon-Fri 8 AM – 4 PM

Q: What is covered under the Federal GI bill (primary education program for Veterans)? To learn more about what is entitled to Veterans under the  Federal GI bill, Click Education & Training and click  Ohio Education Opportunities to learn about some great state programs to help Veterans.

Q: How do I contact the US Senators from Ohio?

  • Senator Sherrod Brown – (D – OH)
    713 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington DC 20510
    Phone: (202) 224-2315
    Contact Form: Senator Brown
  • Rob Portman – (R – OH)
    448 Russell Senate Office Building, Washington DC 20510
    Phone: (202) 224-3353
    Contact Form: Senator Portman

Q: How do I contact my US Representative for the 16th. District?

  • US Rep. James Renacci – (R – OH)
    328 Cannon House Office Building, Washington DC 20515
    Phone: (202) 225-3876
    Contact Form: Rep. James Renacci