"Planning for Progress"
Your Township Government
Osnaburg township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
At a meeting of the Commissioners held on the 16th of March, 1809, this township was bounded and named Osnaburg. The first election was ordered to be held at William Nailor's house. The first collector was James, price, and the amount of tax first levied in the township was nineteen dollars and fifty cents. Among the settlers prior to 1811 we find the names of Sheffer Hartman, Henry Shull, Michael Flora, Jacob Troxell, and Thomas Scovey. The surface is one of the most broken and hilly in Stark County, but it is a fine farming section. The traveler ses good houses and substantial barns along the zigzag roads. Wheat is the staple grain, and the hills are green with promise of a coming crop. Coal is plenty: almost every farm has two veins of coal, one four and a half feet thick and nine feet below, the other three feet thick. The upper vein is being worked. Dr. Whiteleather's mine, near Osnaburg, with eight hands, produces sixteen hundred bushels daily, which, at ten cents per bushel, yields a handsome income. There are two villages in the township. Osnaburg, in the northwest, was settled by Pennsylvanians; it is a place of three hundred to four hundred inhabitants. It has three churches, two hotels, and an excellent school-building. Mapleton, to the southeast, is politically a Republican stronghold. It has two dry-goods stores, and other business buildings. George Snyder is the present postmaster, and one of the oldest residents. There is but one mail a week.